Emergency Line: +233 559 810 925  |  031 2023151 - 4

History

Effia Nkwanta Regional Hospital was established in 1938 as a Military Hospital by the colonial government of the Gold Coast for the then British West African Royal Force based in Takoradi during the Second World War.

The main purpose of the Hospital was to offer medical services to recruited soldiers during their hard and final training for war.

Takoradi was selected as the final training camp because it had the only sea port then and served as gateway for the transportation of soldiers to the warfront.

When the Second World War ended in 1945, the Military authorities handed over the Hospital to the Ministry of Health of the Gold Coast Colony in 1948 and this facilitated the relocation of an old hospital at Sekondi to ‘Effia Nkwanta’, a location which literally translates in Fanti as the junction or by lane to the Effia Community.

Effia Nkwanta Open Day